Who should deal with things

After registering the death and having the funeral, it's time to sort out their finances. You can either do this yourself or hire a lawyer to manage the process for you.

Often, when dealing with organisations, they will only speak to the 'correct' person. So who should be carrying out this process?

With a will

Read our guide on wills

If the person who died wrote a will, they should have listed the person or people that they thought would be best to carry out their wishes. These people are called executors. It should be them or someone on their behalf that deals with things. Executors may be required to speak to companies on the phone, provide I.D. and sign things.

Without a will

If you don't think the person that died left a will, you should make sure by contacting family members or their lawyer if they had one. If you're sure there isn't a will then you might need to need legal help if there is a property to deal with or a financial organisation asks to see 'grant of confirmation' (Scottish probate).

No will? Find out more

When to hire a lawyer

Learn about the situations that it is best to hire a lawyer.

Find out more about managing the estate with or without professional help

Ready to manage the estate?

Learn what you need to do (step-by-step guide)